RE: string-length example

But it would be nice to get the quote right.

From Henry VI Part 2, Jon Bosak edition:

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>CADE</SPEAKER>
<LINE>Be brave, then; for your captain is brave, and vows</LINE>
<LINE>reformation. There shall be in England seven</LINE>
<LINE>halfpenny loaves sold for a penny: the three-hooped</LINE>
<LINE>pot shall have ten hoops and I will make it felony</LINE>
<LINE>to drink small beer: all the realm shall be in</LINE>
<LINE>common; and in Cheapside shall my palfrey go to</LINE>
<LINE>grass: and when I am king, as king I will be,--</LINE>
</SPEECH>

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>ALL</SPEAKER>
<LINE>God save your majesty!</LINE>
</SPEECH>

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>CADE</SPEAKER>
<LINE>I thank you, good people: there shall be no money;</LINE>
<LINE>all shall eat and drink on my score; and I will</LINE>
<LINE>apparel them all in one livery, that they may agree</LINE>
<LINE>like brothers and worship me their lord.</LINE>
</SPEECH>

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>DICK</SPEAKER>
<LINE>The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.</LINE>
</SPEECH>

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>CADE</SPEAKER>
<LINE>Nay, that I mean to do. Is not this a lamentable</LINE>
<LINE>thing, that of the skin of an innocent lamb should</LINE>
<LINE>be made parchment? that parchment, being scribbled</LINE>
<LINE>o'er, should undo a man? Some say the bee stings:</LINE>
<LINE>but I say, 'tis the bee's wax; for I did but seal</LINE>
<LINE>once to a thing, and I was never mine own man</LINE>
<LINE>since. How now! who's there?</LINE>
</SPEECH>

<STAGEDIR>Enter some, bringing forward the Clerk of Chatham</STAGEDIR>

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>SMITH</SPEAKER>
<LINE>The clerk of Chatham: he can write and read and</LINE>
<LINE>cast accompt.</LINE>
</SPEECH>

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>CADE</SPEAKER>
<LINE>O monstrous!</LINE>
</SPEECH>

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>SMITH</SPEAKER>
<LINE>We took him setting of boys' copies.</LINE>
</SPEECH>

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>CADE</SPEAKER>
<LINE>Here's a villain!</LINE>
</SPEECH>

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>SMITH</SPEAKER>
<LINE>Has a book in his pocket with red letters in't.</LINE>
</SPEECH>

<SPEECH>
<SPEAKER>CADE</SPEAKER>
<LINE>Nay, then, he is a conjurer.</LINE>
</SPEECH>

mailto:jim@melton.name
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345
=  Facts are facts.  However, any opinions expressed are the opinions  =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =