Re: string-length example

I hate to prolong this thread, but I feel I should speak up for Tobias,
and speak up for myself, for that matter, as a member of the one of the
WGs producing the spec.  I find the quotation very offensive, and not
funny.  Anything that uses the term "kill" directed at any person or group
of persons has no place in a technical specification, even if you had the
attribution (I assume you would not quote David Duke or Hitler... [Tobias'
point also], the attribution is irrelevant).  This is not a frivolous
complaint, nor is it fuzzy territory IMHO.  I think we can find plenty of
quotes, even non-bland ones, that are not offensive.

-scott

public-qt-comments-request@w3.org wrote on 09/08/2003 08:12:59 PM:

> I like to think that lawyers, even in the USA, would be well-enough
> educated to know the source of the quotation.
>
> If it is our goal to say nothing offensive to anyone, then we might as
well
> say nothing.
>
> I'm sorry if you are personally offended, or if you are concerned that
> somebody else might be offended, by the use of a quotation from
> Shakespeare.  But I do not think it is unreasonable for us to use it.
How
> many other sample pieces of text should be accompanied by references?
Only