From: scott_boag@us.ibm.com [mailto:scott_boag@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 3:06 PM
To: Kevin Jones
Cc: public-qt-comments@w3.org; public-qt-comments-request@w3.org
Subject: Re: Whitespace in XQuery 1.0

Hi Kevin.  Yes, there should be a third category, or maybe two more specific categories:

1) required whitespace, i.e. one or more.  In the XML definition of the grammar this is <g:requiredSkip show="no"/>
2) optional whitespace.  In the XML definition of the grammar this is <g:optionalSkip/>.

I can only explain this with general rules, which is that "words" must be separated by requiredSkip, and punctuation can be optionalSkip.  I will try and make this more explicit in the next draft.

-scott