From: public-qt-comments-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-qt-comments-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Michael Rys
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 5:20 PM
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
Subject: MS-FO-LC1-001: Notation for special static return types

Class: Editorial

In section 1.6 Notations it says:

"In some cases, the dynamic type returned by a function depends on the
type(s) of its argument(s). These special functions are indicated by
using bold italics for the return type. The semantic rules specifying
the type of the value returned are documented in the function
definition. The rules are described more formally in Section 6.2 of
[XQuery 1.0 and XPath 2.0 Formal Semantics]
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/#xquery-semantics#xquery-semantic
s> ."

Problem: Bold italics is not as clear to read as it needs to be for
anything of this significance, especially if the font is Courier which
often has no good bold rendering.

Recommendation: Use a combination of a different font, bold and
underline.