RE: AVTs inside regexen

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 18:54:44 +0200
To: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
Cc: public-qt-comments@w3.org

> In a user forum of an XSLT processor, it was asked if allowing AVTs
> inside regexen should be disallowed because coders could forget to
> escape curly braces that aren't meant to delimit AVTs, eg quantifier
> delimiters.
>
> I just wanted to say that I think that you should continue to
> allow AVTs
> inside regexen. This offers flexibility, and coders can be
> expected to
> remember escaping [note].

Thanks for the comment. We have had some discussion on this in the working
group. We are looking for a way to retain the current functionality while
avoiding the current "gotcha" where the user obtains wrong results if they
forget to double the braces. It might be that the problem can be solved
adequately with a warning from the compiler - we'll see.