RE: /WD-xpath-datamodel-20030502/

We need to be careful here...

| We have added statements in the XPath and XSLT specifications saying
| that the set of types may be extended by implementors, I think the
| Data Model document probably needs to say something to reflect this.

Users cannot create new primitive datatypes.  All they can do is
restrict the existing 19 XML Schema primitive types. Since the value
space of a restricted type is a subset of the value space of the
primitive type (I'm only discussing atomic types, not lists and unions
here) the value space of atomic types cannot be extended by users.
Users can create new datatypes that cover some subset of this value
space.

All the best, Ashok