From: Svgdeveloper@aol.com [mailto:Svgdeveloper@aol.com]
Sent: 20 May 2003 20:01
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
Subject: [XSLT 2.0] Is it possible to display the type of a node / value /
variable?

Having spent a great deal of time today trying to work out where a typing
problem was going wrong (my coding, Saxon 7.5 support of what I wanted to
do, etc) I would really have liked to be able to display the type of (in my
case) a variable at various points in the code - in order to see what was
and what wasn't working.

Is there a function to do that? As far as I can see the data() function
which is said to return the "typed value" doesn't actually return the type,
at least not in a form that I could serialize, which I would need to do in
this debugging scenario.

If not, it seems to me that a function to display the type of a node, an
atomic value and a variable would be useful for debugging XSLT 2.0
stylesheets as people grapple with the "interesting" aspects of typing in
XSLT 2.0 not behaving quite as expected.

Andrew Watt