RE: TR/xquery-operators/#func-doc

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:58:59 +0200
To: Michael Rys <mrys@microsoft.com>, David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk, public-qt-comments@w3.org

> You could see this to be the first stage of a deprecation of
> fn:document() in XPath. First, we provide a simpler function.
> In a later version, fn:document() may be removed.
>
> At least that's how I personally see the reason for keeping
> both in XPath.
>
> Best regards
> Michael [Rys]

Actually, fn:document() was not in XPath 1.0, and is not in XPath 2.0 now.

We have no plans to deprecate fn:document() in XSLT. It does no harm, it is
merely redundant, and redundancy is not good enough reason for deprecation.

We have considered deprecating features that are harmful, such as
disable-output-escaping, but decided for the time being that we had no
formal definition of "deprecation" and it was too much trouble to create
one.

Michael Kay