RE: TR/xquery-operators/#func-doc

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:24:45 +0200
To: David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk, public-qt-comments@w3.org

> I'd request that the WG resolve this anomoly.

How would you suggest that we resolve it?

I mentioned the two alternatives in my email:

(a) don't make fn:doc() available to XSLT users
(b) impose fn:document() on XQuery users

Option (b) isn't really an option: XQuery users don't want the unnecessary
baggage of the fn:document() function, especially as it has never been part
of XPath.

Option (a) creates an unnecessary incompatibility between XSLT and XQuery.
This may not matter to you, but we believe it will matter to many of our
users. We think it will be very common for people to use both languages as
part of the same application.

Michael Kay