RE: /WD-xpath-datamodel-20030502/

XPath is a language that is being embedded in different environments
(one of them being XSLT).

So XPath itself should not have to extend the data model because many
environments that use XPath may not need this information. By saying it
is out-of-scope of the data model document, another spec can define it
to be in its scope (and I assume--but do not know--that the XSLT spec
will do so).

In this case, they are not non-conformant, but they add a constraint on
a behaviour that was open for using environments to specify.

Best regards
Michael