RE: node equality: fn:node-equal()

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 02:26:59 +0200
To: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>, public-qt-comments@w3.org

> I'd like to compare two nodes for equality. I could do it by testing
> various aspects of the pair, thus writing my:node-equal(), but I'd
> prefer to have it available in the language.

You'll have to explain exactly what you mean by node equality. There are a
great many possible definitions. We have provided "eq" and "fn:deep-equal()"
to support two possible definitions; it's not clear that there are other
definitions of node equality that are sufficiently widely accepted that they
should be in the core library. You can always write your own comparison

> BTW, op:node-equal() still tests for identity instead of equality.

Yes, this internal function is designed to support the "is" operator. It's
not a well-chosen name, but the name will never be seen by users.

Michael Kay