RE: dateTime etc accessors now UTC-based, were local

That's a good question, David, as it relates to an area in which there
has been significant change in the May 2 draft.

XML Schema defines the value space for all the date/time types as the
value in the UTC timezone.  In the XQuery/Xpath specifications we have
chosen to also keep the original timezone as part of the value.  Thus,
if the lexical form for a dateTime is "2003-05-07T17:30:00-05:00"  this
would translate into a two-part value:  a dateTime in the UTC timezone
2003-05-07T22:30:00 and the timezone -05:00.

The component extraction functions work on values defined in this
manner.
There were also some bugs in the earlier drafts which have been
corrected.

All the best, Ashok