Re: XSLT 2.0: Writing untyped stylesheets - how much is possible?

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:25:31 +0100
To: Svgdeveloper@aol.com
CC: public-qt-comments@w3.org

> Am I correct in assuming, for example, that a type-unaware stylesheet author
> cannot use the date and time functions?

Note this is not a response from the WG, but I believe that assumption is
incorrect (I hope it is incorrect;-)

> I assume that when one of these
> functions meets a string which happens to be the lexical expression of a date
> that it will be typed as xdt:untypedAtomic and

yes

> and the processor will reject the argument to the function since it is
> not of the specified type for that
> function's argument.

No, Xpath 3.1.4 Function Calls
has

2. Each item in the atomic sequence that is of type xdt:untypedAtomic is
   cast to the expected atomic type.

So I think this means that If you use a date function on a string
extracted from an untyped input doc, it will be coerced to a date type
before calling the function.

David

http://www.star.net.uk