May Xpath: MUST

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 13:05:53 +0100
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

the XSLT draft (at least) always uses must as MUST and states at the top that

  In this specification the words must, must not, should, should not, may,
  required, and recommended are to be interpreted as described in

Xpath draft (at least) seems to use must in a less defined manner.
It would probably be clearer if RFC 2119 usage was followed where
appropriate and some word other than must used otherwise.

The usage that caught my eye initially was the following use of must
which is incorrect irrespective of the RFC.

section 3.5:

  When an XPath expression is written within an XML document, the XML
  escaping rules for special characters must be followed; thus "<" must be
  written as "&lt;".

The first must could be a MUST, < must be escaped, but the second
must is false, I could use &#60; for example.