XQuery 1.0 - 3.12.3 and 3.12.5

From: <Svgdeveloper@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:50:10 EST
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

The cast expression of 3.12.3 and the constructor function of 3.12.5 seem to
be essentially duplicating the same functionality.

It isn't immediately obvious to me why such duplication should be necessary
or appropriate, particularly since the cast expression seems sometimes/always
simply to add the words "cast as" before what would otherwise be a
constructor function.

Is there a compelling reason for the continuing existence of this seeming
duplication? Or am I missing something obvious?

Andrew Watt