RE: No convenient way to cast one expression to the same type as another?

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:43:48 +0200
To: xquery@attbi.com, "Kay, Michael" <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>, public-qt-comments@w3.org
Cc: mrys@microsoft.com

> Hmm, then this is a place where XQuery defines semantics that
> cannot be expressed using XQuery.

But we have in the past used the argument that if a function can be
implemented by the user, then we shouldn't be providing it in the core!

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. We have consciously decided not to
support either types or functions as first-class objects in the data model
in this version of the specification. This inevitably means that there are
functions and operators in the core that the user could not write for
themselves.

Michael Kay