Re: spam safety, please

> Is there a webmaster in charge who could care
> about keeping this list clean from all the spam that's
> flooding in ?
> If somebody has direct contact with this person,
> please forward him/her this petition.

Dear Xavier, dear public-qt-comments readers,
I am not the webmaster, but as one of the list responsibles, I have
to apologize for the latest spam floods. This has not been a leak
of this particular mailing list, but of the whole W3C anti-spam
system: the current system allows someone to post to a list, only
after an explicit "subscription", as all of you know because
you should have passed thru that gate the first time you have posted
to a W3C list.
This system, recently introduced, has so far been working extremely well,
as looking at the archives can witness.

Now, evidently in these last days something has changed, and the
spammers (few spammers) have gone beyond to the usual techniques,
and found a way to automatically enroll themselves (or, done it
manually).

Therefore, I can honestly tell you that such flood has not passed
unobserved at all. And, frankly, that apart from the latest "FUN FUN"flood, the last day's other spam messages have, alas, shown that
this doesn't seem to be a unique, isolated case. Therefore, something
will have to be done, and the general level of spam of all the W3C lists
have to be recomputed these days, and appropriate solutions found.

Meanwhile, as said, W3C apologizes for the inconvenience. The war against
spam is a tough one, and somehow evolutionary. We are at a point where
the current DDT, which looked so great, is not killing all mosquitos any
more, and we now need to research a more powerful one...
All the best, and as I am on this, best Christmas wishes (spam-free!)
to everybody.

-M