[XSLT2.0] 21.1 Basic XSLT Processor

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:25:31 GMT
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

While I'm happy to see that schema support is not mandatory in XSLT, I'm
a little concerned that it appears impossible to write a stylesheet for
a schema aware processor that falls back gracefully on a basic one.

XSLT has always had quite good support for forwards and backwards
compatible behaviour and run-time testing for (and avoidance
of) non-implemented extensions.

However

  [ERR XT1660] A basic XSLT processor must signal a static error if the
  stylesheet includes an [xsl:]type attribute, or an [xsl:]validation or
  default-validation attribute with a value other than strip.

seems to mean that I can't go

<xsl:when test="system-property('xsl:is-schema-aware')">
... xsl:validation ...
<xsl:otherwise>
  ... just relax ....

Wouldn't it be possible for a basic processor to simply ignore
schema-import and then have run time rather than static errors if any
schema specific features are encountered?

David

http://www.star.net.uk