RE: Can you use the eq operator on two duration values?

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:03:45 +0200
To: "'John Mercado'" <johnkmercado@yahoo.com>, public-qt-comments@w3.org
No, it's not intentional, it's a muddle. Something we still need to sort
out.

There are basically two schools of thought here:

(a) duration as defined in Schema creates too many problems, so we should
not support it in XQuery, and require people to use the two subtypes
yearMonthDuration and dayTimeDuration instead.

(b) we should only support a basic set of operations on durations, such as
comparing them for equality and converting them to and from strings.

I suspect that some people thought we had decided (a) and others that we had
decided (b). Note that although we define op:duration-equal in F&O, we don't
actually say what its semantics are, for example whether P1Y equals P12M. In
Schema, these are distinct values in the value space.

Michael Kay