RE: XQuery 1.0 - 2.5.2.1 / 2.5.2.2 Inconsistency?

You're obviously reading this text completely wrongly, and I'm having
trouble understanding why.

In bullet 1 of 2.5.2.1, SchemaImport is a metasymbol, defined in section 4.2
(production rule 89). This bullet is saying that a Basic XQuery processor
will reject any query that contains this particular syntactic construct.

The first sentence of 2.5.2.2 is saying that an XQuery processor that has
the Schema Import feature will not reject this construct, nor will it do the
other things that a Basic XQuery implementation does that are described in
bullets 2 to 6 of 2.5.2.1.