RE: XSLT 2.0 - 3 Simplified Stylesheet Module

-----Original Message-----
From: Svgdeveloper@aol.com [mailto:Svgdeveloper@aol.com]
Sent: 21 October 2002 22:04
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
Subject: XSLT 2.0 - 3 Simplified Stylesheet Module

In 3 it is stated, "A simplified stylesheet module is an XML document, or
part of an XML document ...".

If the outermost element is an html element from HTML 4.01 can the document
be properly called an "XML document" as in the quote?

Similar questions also arise in connection with the paragraph which follows
the bullet point from which the quote is taken.

Or, less likely, is the intent that a stylesheet author can no longer use
simplified stylesheets to create non-XML output?

Andrew Watt

I think the text is correct. An XSLT stylesheet must always be either a
complete XML document or part of an XML document. We don't discuss whether
or not that XML document is allowed to be embedded in a non-XML document.

If the outermost element of a simplified stylesheet has local name "html"
and a null namespace URI, then the output method will be HTML. Note that
this refers to the outermost element of the stylesheet, not the outermost
element of the XML document in which it is contained: and certainly not to
any non-XML document in which it is contained.