Re: XQuery 1.0 Overriding prolog default namespaces

At 11:31 AM 11/5/2002 -0500, Priscilla Walmsley wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The XQuery 1.0 WD (section 4.1) says that namespace declarations that
>appear in element constructors are added to the in-scope namespaces.
>It's clear what this means for namespace declarations with prefixes.
>
>It's not so clear (at least to me!) what this means for default
>namespace declarations.   The definition of "in-scope namespaces"
>appears to specifically be referring to resolving prefixes, and it is
>listed as a separate component of the expression context from the
>"Default namespace for element and type names" and the "Default
>namespace for function names".

Hi Priscilla,

I agree that we need to improve the description here, and I think it will
be better in the next publication. The default namespace is intended to be
part of the static context.

>So, my question is, do default namespace declarations in element
>constructors override these two default namespaces (declared in the
>prolog)?  Both of them, or just the element/type one?

It overrides the element/type default, but not the function default. This
will be clearer in the next publication.

Jonathan