Re: variable binding in XPath was: Comments on XPath (30th April)

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 21:20:11 +0100
To: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com
CC: evan@evanlenz.net, public-qt-comments@w3.org

> Yes. The strongest use case for adding LET is that it would allow you to
> bind to the context node at each level of predicate nesting:
>
>    chapter[let $c := @id return section [starts-with(@id,$c)]]

'course if you don't provide let then we'll end up telling people to
abuse for instead...

chapter[for $c in @id return section [starts-with(@id,$c)]]

let reads better but is only extra functionality if you want to bind to
a sequence of more than one item. I suspect that extra functionality
will be needed if (as in the current draft) sequence manipulation is
an XPath rather than XSLT operation.

David