Base URI as used by document

From: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 02:10:04 -0400 (EDT)
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
CC: per@bothner.com
The XQuery spec section 2.1.1.1 mentions "Base URI" as part of the
static context, and that it is used by xf:document.  However, it
doesn't actually define it.  The Functions and Operator spec says
the default base URI is "of the stylesheet element containing the
call to the document function".  But what is a "stylesheet
element"?  Is it defined anywhere?  The only thing I can think of is
that it is the uri of the actual XQuery source code.  But this seems
rather useless.  It's like saying that the default directory used
by a fopen in a C program is the directory containing the C program
source.

If an XQuery program can be compiled on one machine, and then moved
to a completely different machine (which of course it can) then the
concept of "base URI of the stylesheet element contaning the call to
the document function" becomes are really bad idea.

I suggest changing it so the the Base URI is defined by the execution
enevironment, not the compilation environment, of the XQuery program,
and in an implementation-defined manner.
--
	--Per Bothner