RE: Where are the bitwise operators ?

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 11:13:15 +0200
To: Paul Cotton <pcotton@microsoft.com>, Vinicius <Vinicius@upsight.com.br>
Cc: public-qt-comments@w3.org
> > 	Dear sirs,
> >
> > 	We have been observing the XPath drafts, and in fact it is very
> > powerful. But our group, and many other friends are missing
> the common
> > "bitwise" operators: and, or, xor, not. Is there any
> particular reason
> > why it is not been delivered for the next version of XPath (2.0)?

No, there is no particular reason, other than (a) pressure of time, and (b)
public comments from people who are alarmed that the function library for
XPath 2.0 is already five times the size of XPath 1.0.

There are many candidates for useful additional functions - trigonometric
functions are another category. I think quite a good way forward with these
is to propose specifications for inclusion in the EXSLT library (see
www.exslt.org), which many vendors are choosing to integrate into their
products. Those specifications that prove popular with implementors and
users can then migrate into the core library at some later stage.