Re: Inquiring gsoc project: banana-rdf improvements

Hi Siwei,

On 04/15/2013 11:08 AM, Siwei Yu wrote:
> Dear sir/madam,
>
> It's very great that w3c is participating gsoc 2013. As a Chinese phd
> student major in semantic web, I'd like to work on the project of
> "banana-rdf improvements" this summer. I find that my abilities and
> skills meet the project tasks very well:
> 1) solid background knowledge of w3c semantic web standards: xml, rdf,
> owl, sparql, lod
> 2) projects experience with mainstream rdf/owl tools: jena, sesame,
> allegrograph, tupelo, protege owl api
> 3) 5 years java coding experience, with scala nearly 1 year

Would you have some pointers to some code you've written?

> ----
> Expected results: the following additions to the framework would be made:
> - support for SPARQL Update
> - type-safe SPARQL queries using String interpolation techniques
> - better performance for the binders
> - add support for all possible indexes in Plantain, the immutable
> graph implementation
> - improve the support for transactions when interacting with stores
> - provide instances for all the (de)serializers
> ----
> As is shown above, there're many tasks in the expected result list.
> Are all of these required to be done in this summer? Shall I choose
> one or some ones that I can complete within 3-month gsoc project? If
> so, which ones are of higher priority?

Yes, that's right. We've identified several areas of improvement for
banana-rdf, but the goal is not to follow _exactly_ that list. I would
expect your proposal to reflect what _you_ think is reasonable, and
most important for the library. Also, it depends on your skills in
Scala. You may have to allocate some time to learn the Scala
techniques, depending on your current level.

I'd suggest you to try to come up with your own list of tasks. You can
organize them as a timeline. That would be your plan to take on this
project. Concrete approaches to solve your ideas will be appreciated.

You can share your plan here, so that we can elaborate on it together.

Alexandre.