Re: Proposal: Don't to XML wf-ness checks on text/html pages [was: Validator timeout and XML-LibXML bug]

From: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 00:22:50 -0400
Cc: Ville U2t5dHSPq6M= <ville.skytta@iki.fi>, ted@w3.org, public-qa-dev@w3.org, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, jean-gui@w3.org, tgambet@w3.org
To: "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>

Le 17 juin 2010 à 22:58, Michael(tm) Smith a écrit :
> So if a site serves a page as text/html:
>
>  - the validator should, by default, evaluate it text/html -- not
>    as XML -- and should therefore not do any XML well-formedness
>    checking on it
>
>  - if we provide a means for doing XML wf-ness checking on
>    text/html pages at all, it should be an option that the user
>    needs to manually select; it should not be the default

+1. text/html validates the page as html and do not check XML wf.
    Though does it mean that many pages which were validating XHTML 1.0 will be invalid HTML5?
    I guess it is just the XML wf. so no issue.
    (we have to be careful with user expectations, and document it very clearly somewhere).

+1 to the option for checking XML wf.

The other issue is when you upload a document. In this scenario, you have no idea what was the intent of the person. We could still propose both scenario.

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada