Re: Validator timeout and XML-LibXML bug

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 08:43:39 +0300
To: public-qa-dev@w3.org
Cc: "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, ted@w3.org, "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org>, jean-gui@w3.org, tgambet@w3.org
On Tuesday 15 June 2010, Michael(tm) Smith wrote:
> Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>, 2010-06-14 09:34 +0300:
>
> [...]
>
> > Thanks, but please note that this fix is not a silver bullet: it just
> > works around one (common, I hope) instance of the problem; XML::LibXML's
> > slowness when it has lots of errors to report hasn't gone anywhere.  And
> > I think the only things that could be done about that is get XML::LibXML
> > fixed, disable XML wellformedness checks in the validator, or switch to
> > another XML parser.
>
> I wonder if XML::Parser could be used for this instead?

I took a brief look into its docs yesterday.  It does not seem to support XML
or SGML catalogs (not 100% sure if this is a problem, would have to try and
see), and the only info I could find about how it reports errors was "A die
call is thrown if a parse error occurs" plus the ErrorContext option.  This
doesn't give me a good feeling in general, it may not have error identifiers
that we could use for adding our own additional explanations/descriptions to
errors, and it sounds like it only reports the first parse error (which may be
acceptable).