Re: Validator timeout and XML-LibXML bug

Ville Skytt¸«£ <ville.skytta@iki.fi>, 2010-06-14 01:00 +0300:

> On Friday 11 June 2010, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> > Le vendredi 11 juin 2010 ¸«¢ 01:34 +0300, Ville Skytt¸«£ a ¸«±crit :
> > > Sigh.  The more I work with XML::LibXML, the less I like it :(
> >
> > I'm hoping these are transient problems with that library rather than
> > structural ones; or are you thinking we should look into the possibility
> > of getting rid of that dependency altogether?
>
> Well, it is kind of overkill for what the validator uses it for, does not seem
> to be that actively maintained, and I'm finding more gotchas with it than I'd
> like (documentation isn't that great).  And for pretty much the most
> interesting thing for validator usage -- error handling -- it has two
> implementations of which it may use one or the other, and the docs don't say
> which of them is used in which scenarios :(

Those seem like some very good reasons for investing some time and
energy in figuring out if we can eliminate the XML::LibXML
dependency -- either by replacing it with XML::Parser or by
altogether dropping the check its being used to perform.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike