Re: Validator release 1.1 prepared

On Friday 09 July 2010, Thomas Gambet wrote:
> Hi Ville,
>
> Thank you for your work on 1.1. We've been trying to make the release
> without Ted since he is on vacation, but we were faced with a problem we
> didn't manage to figure out. To deploy i created the tarballs with "make
> dist". But once the 1.1 version is deployed the validator outputs a
> message "Validation Output: Invalid" on certain uris (like www.w3.org)
> with no more information. Apache logs show that the check script times
> out. I tried touching the templates files but it didn't change anything
> so we went back to 1.0. If you have some time and any idea of what is
> going on i could make the release today or during the weekend, otherwise
> Ted will probably figure this out when he is back.

Apart from the script timing out (no idea why that might happen), this is
exactly the problem I saw when the cached templates in my local validator
instance were out of date.  Touching the *.tmpl files that validator uses does
fix it for me and http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/ (where it is done
automatically when my cronjob pulls code from Mercurial).

Make sure that you touched the correct *.tmpl files, that validator can write
to its cached templates dir, and that no pre-1.1 version of the validator uses
the same template cached dir after you've touched the files (otherwise an
older version may end up recompiling the templates and replacing the cached
ones with versions that will again be unsuitable for 1.1).  If touching the
*.tmpl doesn't help, removing everything in the template cache dir could be
worth trying.