Problem with Unicorn

From: Johannes Koch <johannes.koch@fit.fraunhofer.de>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:45:26 +0200
To: public-qa-dev@w3.org
Hi QA,

I tried the Unicorn validation service and encountered a problem:

There appears an error message

shall be written as
See HTML Compatibility Guideline 7: The lang and xml:lang Attributes

whenever you use a lang attribute in XHTML without also having an
xml:lang attribute.

My reading of the referenced HTML Compatibility Guideline C.7 from the
XHTML 1 spec is that, for compatibility with HTML user agents, you
should not use only an xml:lang attribute, which an HTML user agent will
not understand, but add a lang attribute. The HTML Compatibility
Guidelines do not address compatibility with generic XML user agents,
which could be expected to understand xml:lang, but not XHTML's lang
attribute. Requiring an xml:lang attribute does not enhance
compatibility with HTML user agents.

So the error message should only appear, if there is only an xml:lang
attribute without an accompanying lang attribute in XHTML.

Greetings
--
Johannes Koch
Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology FIT