Re: linkchecker's Makefile.PL and CPAN trick

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:04:52 +0200
To: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Cc: public-qa-dev@w3.org

On Tuesday 27 January 2009, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> Hi Ville,

Hi,

> Testing the linkchecker's build in several platforms tonight, I
> noticed the trick you followed to get CPAN to properly index does
> cause the following output when running perl Makefile.PL:
>
> Checking if your kit is complete...
> Warning: the following files are missing in your kit:
> 	lib/W3C/LinkChecker.pm
> Please inform the author.
> Writing Makefile for W3C::LinkChecker

How/where did you run the above tests?  It's true that this warning occurs if
you do "perl Makefile.PL" from a vanilla CVS checkout.  But if run from the
dir created by unpacking the source tarball created with "make dist", it
shouldn't occur, because "make dist" is supposed to include a generated
lib/W3C/LinkChecker.pm (see end of Makefile.PL) in the tarball.  It does so
for me, on Fedora 9 (perl 5.10.0, ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.42).

> Would it be better to have an (empty) file with that name pre-created
> within the package (and in CVS), then?

IIRC the reason I looked for ways around this is that I wanted $VERSION in the
dummy module but not another place that one needs to remember to update
manually when making a release.

BTW, the dummy *.pm can't be completely empty; at least a "1;" is needed.
Maybe also a "package" statement and maybe $VERSION too or maybe these were
just nice to have features for some reason, it's been so long that I've
forgotten the details.