Re: bogus path info on feed validator reqs; robots.txt

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:43:46 +0200
Cc: public-qa-dev@w3.org
To: Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@w3.org>

Hi Gerald,

On 16-Oct-08, at 2:42 AM, Gerald Oskoboiny wrote:
> This happens because web bots commonly add or remove trailing
> slashes from URIs at will, then when they come along and request
> something like http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi/ they end
> up in infinite URI spaces like the above.
> Could you please update the feed validator and any other scripts
> you can think of that have this same problem to return something
> besides HTTP 200 in this case? (either a redirect or an error)

How would you recommend to do that?

An apache rule, or a patch to the cgi? If the former, any pointer to
how it is best done would be appreciated. If the latter, I suspect the
feedback would be better sent upstream to the feedvalidator list, so
that any patch can benefit all the instances of the tool.