Re: NVDL, SVG validation (Was: first questions on validator.nu)

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:27:58 +0100
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: public-qa-dev@w3.org
Henri Sivonen wrote:

>> I think that something very similar will get into next official version
>> of NVDL language.
>
> Allowing arbitrary XPath there would preclude reasonable streaming
> implementations and would be an overkill for the SVG profiling use case.
> Precluding streaming implementations seems like a bad idea. Have you
> discussed this with oNVDL developer(s)?

Read "something very similar" as something which will be either
streamable XPath subset, or XPath subset only with self, attribute,
parent, ancestor and ancestor-or-self axes (which requires only decent
stack of element nodes on ancestor-or-self axis + their attribute nodes).

> It is well-known that Jing needs less stack space that MSV for the same
> validation operation. I had to increase the JVM stack space a bit but
> within quite reasonable limits.

But MSV usually provides much reasonable error messages (although there
was recent improvement in oNVDL in this area).

> I agree that the definition of "strictly conforming" documents is bad,
> but my foremost beef with it is that it requires a doctype. In my
> opinion, XML content on the Web (as opposed to text/html content) should
> be written without doctypes.

+1