Re: first questions on validator.nu

On Jul 31, 2008, at 14:54, Yves Lafon wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>

>> On Jul 31, 2008, at 00:29, olivier Thereaux wrote:
>>
>>> not solved as far as I know. Yves seems to think it's not a big
>>> problem - which is great -. All I can say is that I've
>>> unfortunately been too busy to work on it but still think this
>>> should happen. If you and Yves can work together on it that would
>>> be perfect.
>>

>> OK. I'll put some cycles into this.
>>
>> (All the servlet [features] that the Validator.nu controller uses
>> are *very* old, except for the part that requests incoming query
>> strings to be decoded as UTF-8. I guess I'll find out soon enough
>> if that feature is in the version of servlets supported by Jigsaw.)
>
> I have to look at the code, but remember doing something for this
> kind of issue, anyway, we need to check that (and patch if needed :) )

Indeed, Jigsaw is missing the setCharacterEncoding() method on
HttpServletRequest objects. I made the servlet catch
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError there, so if the servlet is compiled under
a more current servlet API, it runs without crashing (but without non-
ASCII query string support) under a vintage servlet API. (Jigsaw also
lacks getRequestURL(), but having that method wasn't critical, so I
removed the call.)

The other thing in the servlet that I needed to modify was treating a
null return value from getPathInfo() as if the return value had been
"/". (With longer paths, Jigsaw seems to swallow the trailing slash.)

With these changes, the Validator.nu servlet can run inside Jigsaw.
However, some of the functionality of Validator.nu is implemented as
servlet filters (gzip in, gzip out, file upload, textarea input).
These features don't work under Jigsaw. (At least it seems to me that
Jigsaw doesn't implement servlet filters.) I have not modified the UI
of Validator.nu to hide references to these features when they aren't
present.

There's an additional problem that is significant considering use as a
Unicorn back end: When the method is POST, Jigsaw does not provide
request URI query string parameters via the getParameter() method on
HttpServletRequest. This means that the output format cannot be
selected. (In Jetty, getParameter() returns request URI parameters
when POSTing a non-form entity body.)

Here's what is needed to get up and running from a clean installation
of Jigsaw (using Java 5 or later):
  1) Create a directory for Validator.nu.
  2) cd into that directory.
  3) Run svn co http://svn.versiondude.net/whattf/build/trunk/ build
  4) Run python build/build.py dldeps
  5) Run python build/build.py build
  6) cd to the Jigsaw directory.
  7) Replace scripts/jigsaw.sh with the modified script attached to
this email. This script adds the jars needed by Validator.nu to the
classpath and sets some system properties for configuring
Validator.nu. It replaces legacy SAX and Xerces with current versions.
(The favicon, script and style URLs point to about.validator.nu, but
can be changes here.)
  8) Edit the variable VALIDATOR_NU_HOME in the script to point to the
directory you created in step #1.
  9) Add line
org.w3c.jigsaw.startup=org.w3c.jigsaw.servlet.ServletPropertiesReader
to Jigsaw/config/http-server.props
10) Run sh scripts/jigsaw.sh
11) From another shell, run scripts/jigadmin.sh and connect to the
Jigsaw instance.
12) In jigadmin, add a ServletWrapperFrame resource under /servlet
with the identifier validator-nu and the class
nu.validator.servlet.VerifierServlet.
13) Restart Jigsaw.

The generic facet of Validator.nu is now at http://localhost:8001/servlet/validator-nu/
. The HTML5 facet is at http://localhost:8001/servlet/validator-nu/html5/
. (The parsetree viewer should be at http://localhost:8001/servlet/validator-nu/parsetree/
, but it doesn't appear to work.)

When the servlet loads, log4j complains to System.err that it hasn't
been initialized. I don't know what the best practice for initializing
log4j under Jigsaw is.
--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi