Re: Outline feature in validator (was: profiling the Markup Validator with Devel::NYTProf)

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 07:30:00 -0400
Cc: public-qa-dev hacking list <public-qa-dev@w3.org>
To: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>

On Apr 7, 2008, at 02:56 , Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> (probably not once per character, except in worse case scenarii; in
> general, while there is no guarantee that characters be all stuck
> together in the data call in the SAX API, it doesn't imply that each
> character generates such a call either)

Note that the name is misleading. It's really an opensp API handler,
which looks like SAX.

> Err... Is this API call done even when the show outline option isn't
> enabled? If so, the best solution might be to make sure it isn't
> called
> unless it is enabled, no?

The way the API works is to define a handler module with a subroutine
for each sort of event, and short of making several handler modules,
one with data subroutine and one without (and we can imagine other
branching situations) I don't think it's possible to just say "don't
use your data routine for data events".