W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-qa-dev@w3.org > September 2007

Re: Character problem in header.tmpl of current validator CVS trunk?

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:30:01 +0900
To: Sierk Bornemann <sierkb@gmx.de>
Cc: public-qa-dev@w3.org
Message-ID: <20070911123001.GA21792@w3.mag.keio.ac.jp>

Hi Sierk,

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007, Sierk Bornemann wrote:
> There seems to be a small glitch concerning header.tmpl of the  
> current CVS validator version, if the check script throws out the  
> result page:
> The dots, which do mean an ellipsis are displayed false, if displayed  
> via the check script.

I had noticed the issue but not looked into it yet. The problem seems to
be that the HTML::Template module isn't very encoding-aware...

The best info I could find is here:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=1184874259.8813.6.camel%40banaan.localdomain

I can easily fix the issue for this "..." but this  could be a 
serious problem very soon when we open the validator for translation.

Unfortunately, the decoding parameter patch suggested in the list
archive above hasn't been included in HTML::Template yet (but the mail
is recent so there is hope). 

Fortunately, the filter hack mentioned by the patch author does work,
(just tested on my local validator) and is worth remembering:

my $tmpl = HTML::Template->new (filename => 'test.tmpl',
filter => sub {
my $ref = shift;
${$ref} = Encode::decode_utf8(${$ref});
});

I'll make sure we use this, and will push for the inclusion of that
patch.
-- 
olivier
Received on Tuesday, 11 September 2007 12:30:10 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 10 December 2014 20:03:52 UTC