Re: fresh layer of paint for link checker

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:21:57 +0900
To: QA Dev <public-qa-dev@w3.org>

Hello,

On Oct 23, 2007, at 23:57 , Ville Skyttä wrote:
> 1) After checking a document is finished, the heading still shows
> like "Status: Processed/Finished in XX.X seconds" instead.

Oops, bug indeed. fixed. Thank you :)

> 2) When there are long URLs among those checked, the heading is
> wrapped
> after "Checking link" and the URL is displayed on the next line.
> This causes
> jumping text effects as the heading area's height switches between
> one and
> two line "modes".

I see three ways of doing this:
* using non-breaking spaces in that text
* forcing 1em height on the heading, which would make the second line
disappear
* forcing 2em height on the heading, making it look less nice, but
there would be space for a second line without the jumping effect.

I'm leaning toward the last solution, thoughts?

>> I'm also wondering, for the sake of screen real estate, if it would
>> make sense to have (on results page only) the options collapsed into
>> hidden state? That would, however, be inconsistent with the other two
>> validators, where the options are hidden in main interface and shown
>> for re-check.
>
> +1 for staying consistent with the other validators - no matter if
> it means
> sticking with expanded options for the link checker or changing all
> validators to default to collapsed.

Agreed. Will see what I can do while remaining consistent across our
tools.