Re: [earl] Toward a uniform output format for validators

Hi Karl,

On Feb 14, 2007, at 13:17 , Karl Dubost wrote:
> I think it would be very useful to have a uniform output format for
> validators.

Indeed, that's something I have been discussing quite a lot recently,
within the team (notes from work with Yves coming up soon) and on www-
validator [1].

> I'm more interested for now of the abstract representation, then we
> can choose a format.

Right. Worth doing in parallel, I believe, is keep an eye on EARL
(any other equivalent we should be looking at) as it has a
interesting modeling for reporting, where we could find ideas to add
to the format.

> CSS validator:
>
>  - physical context: Line number
>  - logical context: class names or ids
>  - Message: descriptive with variations
>  - type of result: warning, error, level

OK, this is the modeling of a single message. Something Yves and I
have been working on is the modeling of the observation itself, which
encompasses a group of messages. I guess an alternative would be to
have each message be a single observation, but that would perhaps be
a problem when several messages relate to each others, e.g:
Error: element foo not closed
Info: start tag was here

> Maybe we should ask Henri Sivonen, Sam Ruby as well.

Yes, I think we should have this discussion in www-validator.

I'll be sending something with my notes taken while working with Yves
in the days to come. Maybe we can take it from there.