Re: XHTML-RDFa test cases for Validator Re: XHTML-RDFa draft made public

Ben Adida wrote:
> I'm confused: this requires re-declaring all the XML namespaces in the
> DTD declaration? That doesn't seem like a viable direction for
> validating pages in the wild.

Well - there are other ways to do it. I was just demonstrating that it
would work.  I didn't mean to imply it was a good idea.  You and some
others seemed to feel it was impossible.
> Is this a DTD vs. XML Schema validation issue?

Yes.  Sort of anyway.  The w3c validator, and indeed MOST validators out
there, rely upon the sgmls/nsgmls/onsgmls tool that is now part of
OpenSP.  This tool is DTD based, and has no provision I know of for
permitting random attributes to just show up.  We addressed this in
XHTML M12N many years ago by providing this hook.  You could achieve the
same thing by teaching the validator abouts lots of well know namespaces
and prefixes...  and then having it automagically shoehorn them into the
internal subset before processing.  You could also have the validator
pre-scan the document, extract the namespace declarations, and do the
same thing.

It has not really been an issue to date, but those are a couple of
pretty straightforward solutions that would work more or less
immediately with XHTML Family markup languages.  I would be happy to
implement either one if anyone is interested in letting me.