Re: language selection in CSS validator

Hi Olivier,

olivier Thereaux wrote:
> Hello Richard, Felix, my favorite i18n experts :)
>
> I have a small question regarding how to best advertize the multilingual
> content of the CSS validator.
>
> Right now the tool is entirely translated in a number of languages, but
> it's only language-negotiated, with no language-specific link
> whatsoever. Bad, just bad.
> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
>
> For the next version of the tool, which has seen a little redesign, a
> lot of documentation update, and an excruciating effort in translation,
> I want to make the multilingual content more prominent. Still
> language-negotiated, but with speific linking too.
>
> The first step was to have a link in the menu at the bottom of e.g
> http://qa-dev.w3.org:8001/css-validator/
> linking to
> http://qa-dev.w3.org:8001/css-validator/languages.html
> which then lists the available languages, and links to info on how to
> set up lang neg in browsers (on the i18n website ;) ).
>
> Pros: links to info on how to set up browser once and for all
> Cons: not a usual location for language selection, inconvenient for
> documents within the documentation tree
>

> The second step was more conventional, see e.g the top right corner of
> http://qa-dev.w3.org:8001/css-validator/documentation.html.en
> (yes I know the links are 404. The translated docs are there, but I
> didn't get jigsaw to index them yet)
>
> Pros: usual location, easy to switch language on each page
> Cons: not teaching users to set up their browser
>

> I'm now thinking of going with the second route, but keep a link to
> "languages" at the bottom of the home page, hoping that some people will
> at least follow the link and learn to set up their browser to send the
> proper accept-language headers. Does that sound like a good idea to you,
> and in sync with good practices for multilingual sites?

sounds like a good idea to me, but I think Richard has more feedback on
design of multilingual sites.

> (further/contrary) ideas welcome.

Having the link to the article
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-lang-priorities at the top
of the page, close to the list of languages (maybe in a different color
/ brackets)? That makes it easier to see the relation.

Felix