Re: markup validator short-term roadmap

* olivier Thereaux wrote:
>* More bugs, really? I haven't counted the HEAD-specific bugs, but I
>recall many instances of "this is fixed in HEAD", enough to make me
>doubt that statement.

There are some bug fixes in the area of character encodings; from the
number of bug reports relative to those it seems users are rarely
affected by this. The bugs and shortcomings concern more common cases.

>* and finally, the performance gains... Maybe it interests us at most,
>but we're still our main customers, and we still have a  damning load
>problem on our two servers, so the performance gains, if they actually
>are as good as your tests showed, are a crucial change.

They depend on mod_perl, so far we didn't manage to put at least qa-dev
check instances under mod_perl if I understand correctly. Changing that
would be a good idea.

>I'm not sure what your stance is, though. Do you think it's useless to
>do an alpha test and we should release, instead, when we think it's
>time; or do you think the alpha test, and the release, etc, would be
>useless?

I think we have rather limited resources and there is considerable work
to do before we can release HEAD. I'd rather see resources spent on
working on known bugs and other deliverables like the test suite than
on an alpha test that would generate reports for known bugs that are not
likely to be fixed in the forseeable future.