Re: markup validator short-term roadmap

* olivier Thereaux wrote:
>In particular:
>- the fact that wmvs 0.8 depends on the cvs version of s:p:o is not
>extremely practical, but that can be documented, and the installation
>will remain feasible. So we can at least make an alpha/beta test of
>the new version. Bjoern, if you could list for us what you think is
>keeping you from release s:p:o 0.99, perhaps we could help?

I think this is documented in the changelog in the S::P::O CVS, except
perhaps the restricted temporary file reading on Win32 issue that I'd
like to fix some day.

>Given this, I propose to organize an alpha test of the HEAD version
>in the weeks to come. I'll be installing the latest s:p:o and opensp
>on the validator servers this week, and then we can perhaps use the
>wiki to build a changelog between 0.7.x and 0-8-alpha1 ?

HEAD has more bugs, less features, more dependencies, interesting only
to people who would like `check` to have less code (and I think I was
the only one who removed code from check, others would like it to have
/more/ code, like additional SOAP templates) and to people who need the
performance gains, which is us at most. Considering how previous alpha
tests drove attention to the code, I am not sure what the point would
be. It doesn't seem to help convince anyone to fix the known bugs. The
known bugs are documented in Bugzilla, comments in the source code and
perhaps #validator logs.