Re: Config::General 2.31

Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi> wrote:

>The main issue is just that as far as I can tell, Config::General 2.31
>started behaving according to its own documentation regarding
>-MergeDuplicateBlocks.  This is not something that should need changing
>in the future nor needs to be documented IMO.

We have conditionals in our source for two versions of an external library;
that's the test for a workaround that we drop and replace with “use Module
<version>” once we find that appropriate (i.e. when Config::General >= 2.31
seems a reasonable minimum prerequisite to set).

And as for documenting it, adding the archive URL for your message in the
comment in “check” might be sufficient. Reading the diff of your checkin I
couldn't understand what the problem was, where it was (check or C::G), what the
workaround actually was doing[0], or what would the criteria be for dropping the
workaround later when it's no longer needed.

[0] — Your code was fine, but since I lacked the description of the _problem_
      the solution was incomprehensible without reproducing your work in
      tracking this down to begin with.

>Filed upstream: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=17852

And I still don't understand whether the workarounds apply to a bug in
Config::General, and if so, whether the bug was in earlier versions or was
introduced in 2.31; or whether this is due a bug in the code in “check”, or
something weird we're doing in the config files.

--
“The woods are lovely, dark, and deep; But I have promises to keep,
 And miles to go before I sleep; And miles to go before I sleep...”

            -- Robert Frost, “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”