Re: Patch for CSS Validator bug #761

Hi Peter,

On Dec 13, 2006, at 22:07 , Peter Zhelezniakov wrote:
> olivier Thereaux wrote:
>> I noticed that it would be better that the parser should not pass the
>> style content within the comments to the CSS parser, so I later
>> modified
>> your code to do that, see:
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator-cvs/2006Dec/
>> 0042.html
>
> Are you sure we want to do that? Validator is not meant to be a
> compliant XML agent, and may choose to parse style even inside
> comments.
> If it does, it may find and report more problems, thereby
> increasing its
> utility. That's like a compiler that does not stop after encountering
> the first error but tries to recover and find more.

If we want to use that metaphor, it would be like a compiler
reporting errors in part of the code that has been commented out,
albeit in a style of comment that is not recommended.

I think it makes sense in this perspective to have the css validator
follow the rule that XHTML user agents are required to remove
comments from XHTML documents before  further processing.