Re: please add SVG as option for enforcing DOCTYPE

Hi Ruud,

[I'm copying my reply to the qa-dev list, and copying Chris for some
advice. Please keep the list in copy in your replies. Thank you.]

On Aug 1, 2006, at 23:55 , Ruud Steltenpool wrote:
> cause i often consider remarks about foreign namespace things pollutin
> my SVG validation results, I built something that:
> -assumes a document is SVG (which can include Xlink)
> - turns <foreign:something><svg:sth /></foreign:something> into
> <svg:sth />
> (Is this how an SVG renderer should work?)
> - throws out attributes in foreign namespace
> -sends it off to the W3C validator with DOCTYPE enforced.

I see, so it's a way for you to work around validation issues with
multiple namespaces documents? Do you also have another way of
checking all the things in these foreign namespaces, or is the main
goal to make sure that the part in the svg namespace is at least OK?

> Possible improvements:
> -Know the full internal list of validator.w3.org DOCTYPEs

These are in the CVS repository for the validator, that may be of
interest to you:
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/htdocs/sgml-lib/sgml.soc
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/htdocs/sgml-lib/xml.soc
and also at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/htdocs/conf/types.cfg

> -guess the right DOCTYPE based on the document

Hmm, That would be fairly easy done by parsing the version attribute
of the <svg> element, if present. Less so if the document is not SVG,
but your idea is to run this only on SVG documents, right? Note
however that AFAIK, there is no doctype for the SVG1.2 family.

> -correctly interprete xmlns used on other then the root element

Any idea how you would use that?

> What's your opinion on this?
> Useful as long as clear warnings are present?
> Maybe an idea for THE validator?

I don't consider myself to be enough of an expert to give a very well
informed, let alone authoritative, opinion :). It seems to me like a
useful hack, if multi-ns documents are important to you but you still
want the benefits of validation for the SVG basis. I guess that as
long as all the namespaces involved have a clear schema associated
with them, a solution based on NRL would be less of a hack, but I'm
still rather puzzled by how this could be done properly since some
namespaces are associated to various versions of a technology (e.g
xhtml), hence different schemas. Bear with me, I am still catching up
with these issues...

Chris, whom I'm copying in this mail, would probably be way more
knowledgeable about whether your solution is a good idea or not. I'll
let him chime in if he has anything to add.

Cheers,
olivier Thereaux - W3C - http://www.w3.org/People/olivier/
W3C Open Source Software: http://www.w3.org/Status