Re: [ucn] more notes on installing the unicorn tool on qa-dev

Hello,

On 8/3/06, olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> [...]
>
> A couple of things I've noticed or wondered about:
>
> * has the CSS validator been patched yet to have a ucn output? I
> don't recall seeing the cvs messages. Yves, are you reviewing the
> patches at the moment?

As I know the css-validator isn't already patched. But the validator
to patch will be "http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/" or
"http://qa-dev.w3.org:8080/css-validator/validator.html.en" ?

> * I've noticed a couple of tiny mistakes in the mime type
> configurations. If I'm not mistaken, the list of mime types supported
> by the markup validator should be the following:
>
>         <ucn:mimetype>text/html</ucn:mimetype>
>         <ucn:mimetype>application/xhtml+xml</ucn:mimetype>
>         <ucn:mimetype>image/svg+xml</ucn:mimetype>
>         <ucn:mimetype>application/mathml+xml</ucn:mimetype>
>         <ucn:mimetype>application/smil+xml</ucn:mimetype>

Yes, to debug localy our framework we add only few mime type to each
observer and forgot to add other after.

> Note the image/svg+xml media type for SVG. I'm not an expert, but if
> I recall properly, this, and not application/svg+xml, was chosen as
> mime type for SVG. Worth double checking at least.
>
> So for the CSS validator it should be:
>         <ucn:mimetype>text/css</ucn:mimetype>
>         <ucn:mimetype>text/html</ucn:mimetype>
>         <ucn:mimetype>application/xhtml+xml</ucn:mimetype>
>         <ucn:mimetype>image/svg+xml</ucn:mimetype>

There are a specificity in mime type handle of CSS validator. They
handle all mime type in uri input method but only "text/css" in direct
and upload input method. So in UniCORN we add auto redirection from
one input who not handle a mime type to other input which handle if
it's possible.

> I updated these files, which my installation of the tool refers to,
> and was expecting the following to be working:
> http://qa-dev.w3.org:8080/unicorn/observe?
> ucn_task=validation&ucn_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.la-grange.net%2F2006%
> 2F05%2F13
>
> but it still wasn't, and I remembered that the supported mime types
> are also configured in the tasklist.
>
> I don't know if that's the most usable. Could the list of mime types
> accepted for a given task be computed from the observers:
> - concatenate all mime types supported by the observers of the task
> - if an observer does not support the mime type, skip it if the
> document passing the task has that unsupported mime type.
>
> alternatively, another approach:
> - compute the list of supported mime types for a given task as the
> least common denominator from all its observers.
>
> I prefer the former solution, but it may have its issues. And perhaps
> there were issues that pushed us to define mime type support both in
> observers and tasks, if so, sorry, I have forgotten, could you remind
> me?

We define mime type support in task to set priority which each mime
type is handle by a observer. This can't be make in the observer file
because a same observer can handle mime type with differents priority
according to the task called.
For example in a task like "CSS check" the observer "CSS Validator"
handle the "text/html" mime type with "HIGH" priority but in a task
like "Make all check" it handle with a minor priority to let the
observer "Markup Validator" check the document before.

> Thanks,
> --
> olivier

Regards.