Re: "ack" in CVS

On 13 Apr 2006, at 03:52, Ville Skyttä wrote:
>> responseText I could understand, but setting status and
>> getAllResponseHeaders() as undefined, especially for a HEAD request,
>> sounds... wrong.
>
> Agreed.

I eventually tested with a nightly build of safari, and the bug has
been fixed. Still, we need the workaround, I suppose.

> Hm, ok, but from the pedant POV, responses to HEAD requests must not
> contain an entity body per the HTTP spec.

Right, but if the cgi script is not HTTP-aware and returns a body,
apache DTRT and strips the body when answering HEAD requests, doesn't
it? Granted, doing the right thing directly in the cgi script is
better...

> One thing to try could be to
> return "204 No Content" but I guess that requires making the script a
> NPH one and I have no experience with that, and I'm having doubts
> if it
> would be handled any better.
>
> How about omitting Content-Length altogether, ie. replacing the last
> line of grab.pl by a simple 'print "\n";' ?

Hmm I doubt the 204 solution would be very well implemented, but
worth a try.
I tested the idea of not sending the Content-Length: and replacing
with print "\n"; - didn't work. print "\n\n"; did work, but that's
rather equivalent to my previous solution...

--
olivier Thereaux - W3C - http://www.w3.org/People/olivier/
W3C Open Source Software: http://www.w3.org/Status