Re: Identifying/highlighting (Was: MarkupValidator/M12N: observation/observators)

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:23:29 +0900
Cc: QA Dev <public-qa-dev@w3.org>
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

On Mar 9, 2005, at 4:11, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * olivier Thereaux wrote:
>> The text has a section on how descriptors should be able to identify a
>> single character in the source. I would expand this a little further
>> require that a descriptor/context should identify a given range in the
>> source (and then a single character would be a specific type of
>> range).
>> That's probably not compatible with the current observation model of
>> e.g OpenSP.
>
> That's basically covered by "more sophisticated highlighting", it
> could be more explicit though.

On this topic, and answering questions I had about using xpath/xpointer
on "bad markup", I've been pointed recently to the following thread on
www-annotation (thanks Jim, Dom):
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-annotation/2002JanJun/
thread.html#125
Especially this work, from nick:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-annotation/2002JanJun/0130
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-annotation/2002JanJun/0156

In the latter, Nick wrote that he was using such mechanism to create
pointers for valet, even within tag soup.