Re: New proposed styling

* olivier Thereaux wrote:
>Rationale behind some of the choices:
>
>- block width: very long lines, permitted by our non-limited window
>width, are really hard to focus on. Books seldom go past 15 words per
>line, newspapers even less. Without going that far, I tried to limit
>the width of the window so that it doesn't go past 20 words in a
>reasonable font.

Maybe you did not know, but the standard response to this is that you
should configure your browser such that this is not a problem, e.g. by
re-sizing your browser window or by using a user style sheet with e.g.
width or max-width for the html/body elements. You should probably cite
more convincing reasons why validator.w3.org should be different from
pretty much the rest of w3.org.

>The design is not fully decided yet and there are a few things to fix,
>but once this is done, and barring strong disagreement, I wish to use
>this as the default style for the markup, css validators and checklink
>starting at their next respective releases.

Once again, I don't think we should use our main development branch for
experimental code, specifically not code that makes the site unusable in
Internet Explorer 6 :-( You can use http://www.danvine.com/iecapture/
and similar services like http://www.browsercam.com/ to test.